Surprisingly, the living room or kitchen is not the room in our homes where we spend the most time.
It’s the bedroom.
In fact, we spend nearly half of our lives there!
In addition to sleeping seven hours daily, the average American spends another four hours in bed watching TV, using their cell phones or just laying down, according to a survey from Slumber Cloud.
A generation ago, we didn’t put much thought into the paint colors on our bedroom walls. After all, our eyes are closed when we sleep. However, as studies find that Americans are spending more time awake in the bedroom, interior designers are focusing on color as a key element in creating dreamy designs.
So what colors work best in a bedroom? Neutral colors help create a quiet sanctuary that is cozy and serene, as well as timeless and versatile. Colors are scientifically proven to affect one’s mood, so that’s why color choice in the bedroom is extremely important.
“Your bedroom should be a restful retreat, a place for you to escape and unwind,” said Ace Hardware design expert Katie Reynolds. “The paint colors you choose are an important way to create a comfortable and relaxing feeling in this space.”
Color experts note green hues help individuals feel peaceful, restful and refreshed. It was no surprise in October when Benjamin Moore announced its 2022 Color of the Year was a shade of green. Benjamin Moore describes October Mist 1495 as a “gently shaded sage that quietly anchors while encouraging expression through color.”
“As the spaces in our homes continue to evolve, we uncover more opportunities to express our individuality and leverage the power of color to design environments that serve different functions and styles,” said Andrea Magno, Benjamin Moore’s director of color marketing and development. “October Mist 1495 and the corresponding Color Trends 2022 palette reflects an effortless harmony of colors, while inspiring unique combinations for any paint project.”
Benjamin Moore, one of the nation’s largest paint manufacturers, developed Color Trends 2022 following a year-long exploration into design, art, fashion, cultural and environmental influences around the world. The color palette features refreshed primary colors, luminous pales and botanical hues, invigorating the senses and giving root to personal style.
Neutral colors have often been criticized as bland or boring, but there are many opportunities to express individuality, creativity and style in a bedroom with neutral colors. Using October Mist 1495 as a primary color, for example, DIYers can personalize, colorize and harmonize their bedroom space through the following:
- Accent walls: In a bedroom, an accent wall is usually behind the bed. A darker hue there can create a sharp, modern look that firmly stamps the bed as the room’s centerpiece.
- Linens: Pillow, blankets and comforters can feature bright or bold colors. Contrasting colors can create a sense of dimension without overpowering one’s senses.
- Furniture: Dark brown bedroom furniture is timeless, but black, white and off-white dressers and nightstands are trending. It’s important to consider furniture color when choosing paint color for a wall.
- Accessories: Picture frames and artwork offer opportunities to break up the monotony of a neutral wall. Art that carries a central theme, such as nature, can be carried forward to bedding and linens.
Master bedrooms should be painted in a flat or matte sheen, which minimizes reflection of light. Meanwhile, satin sheens have historically been recommended for children’s bedrooms because they are durable and easy to clean.
Eleven hours per day is a lot of time to spend in a bedroom. That’s why it is important to turn it into a sanctuary, with color as the central element.
– By Dan Miles, commercial paint division manager at Sunshine Ace Hardware. For more information or to find the nearest location, please visit SunshineAce.com.