In 2020, our minds were focused on important issues, like the presidential election, the nation’s economy and COVID-19.
And now, the holiday season is approaching and our gift-buying lists are bare. That means the toughest individual to buy for – our dads – may be disappointed if we don’t start figuring out a perfect gift for him.
To help, the National Retail Federation’s 2020 Consumer Holiday Survey noted the types of gifts that all consumers want to receive this holiday season. Just two categories increased from last year: home improvement products and home décor. The percentage of people who want clothing, jewelry, books, electronics and other items actually declined.
It’s always tough to buy gifts for men. They either have everything they need or don’t tell anyone what they want. However, below are 10 popular “dad gifts” sure to bring a smile to even the most stoic fathers, husbands, grandpas and boyfriends:
- Grill: Many dads don’t like to cook, but they love to grill. Chances are, he’s due for an upgrade. Grills come in all shapes and sizes, including gas, charcoal, electric or wood pellets. Investing in a higher-end brand just might convince dad to grill a little more often.
- Storage: If dad’s garage isn’t exactly organized, consider a modular storage system. Locking toolboxes, organizers and totes are versatile and durable.
- Cooler: Dads who like to fish, watch sporting events with the guys or host backyard barbecues need a good cooler that keeps beverages cold even when it’s blazing-hot outside.
- Leaf blower: No one wants to rake leaves or grass clippings, but it’s something dads do to enhance curb appeal. Leaf blowers powered by gas, electric and batteries are equally powerful.
- Sunglasses: The outdoorsman needs to protect his eyes. Polarized sunglasses protect dad’s eyes from harmful UV rays and eliminate glare while also giving him a sense of style.
- Fishing gear: Florida is home to the best saltwater and freshwater fishing on the planet. The first step in dad’s great fish tale starts with a good fishing rod and complement of fishing gear.
- Insulated mug: Dads want their cold beverages to stay cold, and their hot beverages to stay hot. You can’t go wrong with an insulated mug, tumbler or bottle. Choose one in his favorite color.
- Folding chair: Dads like to sit at the same seat at the dinner table and in the living room. They also want to have a comfortable portable chair to tailgate, watch youth sports and enjoy backyard parties.
- Drill kit: The most-used power tool is the cordless drill, and over the years, dads can lose or wear down accessories. Drill kits can include multiple drills, drill bits, torque impact wrenches, batteries and more, along with a handy carrying case.
- SPF fishing shirt: Dads like to be outside and cool at the same time. Sport shirts made from modern materials protect him from the sun, wick away moisture and keep him looking great.
For stocking stuffers, consider a screwdriver or ratchet set, tape measure, BBQ rubs and sauces, digital meat thermometer, paint brushes, drill bits, fishing lures, or a hardware store gift card so he can buy whatever he wants or needs.
Buying gifts for men can be difficult, and it’s tempting to save the toughest gift for last. Grab the latest circular to see which products are popular, then venture into the garage for inspiration. That’s truly the best way to learn what dad needs this holiday season.
– By Scott Hamblen, Chief Merchandising Officer